Sometimes when times seem challenging, we need to program ourselves into celebrating little victories. It can be a little silly to say little victories out loud to others because to them, the acts we spout about don't mean anything. Our victory celebrating can sound indulgent or narcassistic, when really that's not the intention at all!
I know it's hard to find little victories. And harder to acknowledge them. We find ourselves so accustomed to comparing our progress against a larger goal that the little things can seem insignificant. What a shame.
In the past couple of weeks, I've found that the more I force myself to think of little victories, the easier it becomes for me to recognize them as they happen. I hope that others of you will join in with me on this process of trying to celebrate yourself no matter what the situation. We so often self-sabotage that our efforts go unnoticed to our own psyche and we lose the opportunity to grow stronger and move forward.
So, in an effort to document and celebrate my little victories in a way that I feel most comfortable list, here comes the “Skinny Emime list of Recent Little Victories” (ok, I admit I need a better title!)
- Went out with friends and by the end of the night took a shot of a sugary substance out of a test tube. Did not let it sabotage me the following days- instead became extra-strict to reverse the damage. Before, I would have said “screw it” and ran to Taco Bell at 2am for some tacos, nachos and bean burritos. Not this time.
- Was putting away laundry and saw a pair of jeans I haven't even attempted to wear in 3 months. Put them on without difficulty. Still had a little muffin top so they're not into rotation yet, but I had no problem getting in them whatsoever.
- Went to Ikea and Jungle Jim's (this big supermarket in Cincinnati) and my feet were pretty sore at the end of the day (shouldn't have worn flip flops for 5 hours of shopping on concrete floors). Woke up this morning expecting huge swollen feet and legs, but nope! Body learned to quickly recover. It's been months since that's happened.
- By myself, I actually put together the desk chair and storage center I bought from Ikea. No whining to anyone about it, just did it. And had hubs take the trash out right away so it wouldn't linger in the house as it normally would.
- Noticed last week that my stomach is moving farther away from my steering wheel. Still fat girl in a little car, but a little less fat.
- Going back to #1, I actually went out! I haven't been out with friends in at least 3 months. We've done stuff at each others houses, but going out and socializing in public- not so much. Didn't die.
- Going back to #1 and #6, saw someone I hadn't seen in about 2 years and 100 pounds. Didn't let it ruin my evening.
- My desk chair at work is becoming more loose in the hip/arm rest area. No more perma-indentations on my hips/thighs
- I said no to sugar free ice cream, even though I really wanted to. I was strong and said no to make up for my sugar-test-tube-shot transgression.
- I am cooking more now than I have in my entire life. I am learning it's much easier to control my eating when I prepare the food myself than leave it to a restaurant. And my food is pretty damn good!!!
That's all for now. I hope that you will join in with me in sharing your little victories. Please leave them in the comments!