Tomorrow morning, hubs and I depart for Fort Lauderdale, where our cruise will set sail Saturday. For those who want to try to invade my home while I'm gone, I'm sure my taser-packing housesitter (seriously, it's pink!) and cop neighbor will give you a warm welcome. This homey don't play.
I'm still riding the wave of my kick ass weight loss from last week. The last thing I want to do is throw that away. Some people swear there is no way NOT to gain weight while on a cruise. Others have said they've lost weight on a cruise. Who knows. As a mindreader (not really, but whatever), The Great Askini from A Wondering Spirit tweeted me this article about cruises and weight loss from CNN. It says:
“The typical cruise passenger gains one pound a day on a voyage of seven to 10 days, said John Primeau, a spokesman for Holland America, citing a longtime adage of cruise professionals.”
Oh heck no. I do not want to gain 6 pounds. Bah. What I do know is “fail to plan, plan to fail.” So here is my plan:
- This week does not have regularly scheduled exercise. This is Trainer Rob-approved. It's a recovery week. I keep telling myself I deserve it, and shouldn't feel guilty for it. That doesn't mean inactivity though! I will be jet skiing, snorkeling, and walking tons. I want to be active in functional ways that my more-healthy self is able to be now.
- Drinks. I love a good bit of alcohol. I haven't really had any in several weeks. I must remember that they're empty calories, but I won't deprive myself of alcohol completely. I will have a couple of drinks per day, in moderation.
- Food. I honestly am not too scared about the food. I have felt very “in-control” with my food choices the past few weeks and don't know why going on a cruise would change that. Yes, I'm not preparing the food, but there should be plenty of options to where I can make proper choices without much guilt. Eat to live, not live to eat. My husband is pretty good at helping me police myself when needed with a gentle “are you sure you want that?” but not in any accusatory way- it's because I ask him to. He is one of those who thinks I might “deserve a break” but he won't let me unless I explicitly tell him I plan on being “off plan.” Also, instead of just lounging around the entire time being tempted by buffets and margaritas, he and I want to partake in some of the ship activities like trivia and such. So, hopefully by staying active, I'll be away from the food more.
- Weighing. I will not weigh the week after the cruise. Maybe two weeks. For my sanity, and so I can get back into my routine at home without getting upset about the scale.
So you see, my plan isn't rocket science. As I frequently mention, the goal is just to keep making proper choice after proper choice, that equals health for my body. I will try my hardest to be conscious of all my choices so I can be proud of my decisions.
Some “housekeeping” items:
- If you sent me an email recently, please know that I'm not ignoring you! I'm just a couple of weeks behind on replying.
- There WILL be posts while I'm gone, so please continue to visit and comment amongst yourselves. These posts include: Your Best Advice: Parts 1, 2 and 3 (3 separate posts of all the quotes and best advice I got from last week when I put the form on my site- there are some GREAT ones!) and a guest post from Trainer Rob about things to consider when thinking about getting a personal trainer.
- If you post a comment while I'm gone and it somehow gets stuck in the queue for moderation, I promise I'll approve it when I get back- unless it's spam- I'll trash that sucker!