Update, March 17, 2022:
Guess what? New Mystery Boxes have just dropped, for 4 days only. These are items that were supposed to be included in the original Mystery Boxes from February, but they were delayed because of supply chain issues. For this round, there are 9 new boxes with 22 new styles – each box has 2 or 3 pieces in them. The boxes include:
- Tops – 2 pieces
- Essential Starter Box – 3 pieces
- 5-Star Jeans Box – 2 pieces
- Surprise Me – 3 pieces
- Spring Dresses Box – 2 pieces
- Fresh Blouses Box – 3 pieces
- Elevated Weekend Box – 3 pieces
- Premier Weekday Box – 3 pieces
- Suiting Separates Box – 3 pieces
Take an additional 10% off your Mystery Boxes by using this link to shop and code INFS-EMILY.
I've gotten questions about this for a few weeks, and now I'm excited to share that Universal Standard Mystery Boxes are back! I'm sharing all the details I have, and also a code to get an additional 10% off!
Disclosure: This blog post is not sponsored by Universal Standard, but I did receive a free Mystery Box in exchange for showcasing the outfit on Instagram. If you use my link or coupon code in this post to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission on the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my work!
Who is Universal Standard?
Universal Standard is of my favorite brands. I always hesitate at the term “size-inclusive” because unless you offer custom options for anyone, someone is always going to be excluded. BUT they are absolutely the most size-inclusive major brand with every item offered in sizes 00-40. As someone who is very often excluded from styles as a size 28, it is extremely appreciated. The styles are classic and high quality, and some of my favorite things in my closet. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't wear US at least twice. If you want more photos, you can find my Universal Standard archives here.
What are Mystery Boxes?
Every year, Universal Standard offers a sale they call Mystery Box. It is, as it sounds, a collection of items that you purchase, sight unseen. I understand not everyone loves surprises, especially when it comes to clothes, but the reason the sale is so popular is that the values are really incredible. US isn't considered by many to be an inexpensive brand and they rarely have sales (I've never seen a site-wide sale – usually only a very select number of items at a time) so Mystery Box is the time to stock up. It only lasts 1 week, so shop it while you can!
This year, there are 11 boxes available:
- Premium Jersey
Elevated Luxurysold out Classic Stylessold out
- Archival Treasures
- Luxe Lounge
Athleisuresold out Pantssold out Surprise Mesold out
- Best Sellers (added 2/18/22)
- Denim Box (added 2/20/22)
- Smart Traveler Box (added 2/21/22)
- Surprise Me LITE – this is a 2 piece box (added 2/21/22)
- Classics for Spring LITE – this is a 2 piece box (added 2/21/22)
Each one has a different price and a different value. For example, the Dresses Box is $178 for 3 dresses valued up to $354.
I received a Surprise Me box, which is $98 with 3 pieces valued up to $548. It included 3 items valued at $344.
- Stephanie Wide Leg Stripe Pants in Navy with Blue/White Stripe – $148
- Renee Raglan Turtleneck in Black – $98
- Etta High Rise Straight Leg Jean 28 inch – Washed Black – $98
(I also received a 2nd Surprise Me Box as a whoopsie and it had the Stephanie pants linked before, the Diane Satin Midi Bias Skirt ($128), and the Elbe Shirt ($94) – which I already own and love. The value of that box would have been $370. I'll show all the items mixed below.)
As you can see, everything is so interchangeable because they're timeless pieces. I already own the Stephanie pants in black in 2 sizes (depending on if I want them tighter or looser) and was thrilled to receive the navy ones. They are thick and stretchy and drape like a dream. The turtleneck sweater is something you can have forever and wear with multiple bottoms or use as a layering piece. And the other 2 “whoopsie” items – I am OBSESSED with the satin skirt. I never would have considered this style for myself thinking it wouldn't be the right shape and cling really badly, but it's a beautiful cut and fabric, and easy elastic waist. And the Elbe top – I already had it and love it – who doesn't need a white work shirt in their wardrobe? (or 2 or 3 if you're me and stain your tops as your food makes its way from fork-to-mouth) The jeans are a good staple, and I don't have many in this color.
Universal Standard Mystery Box Coupon Code
I have a code that will save you an additional 10% off your Mystery Box purchases! Use this link and at checkout, use code
INF-EMILY10 INFS-EMILY. Some restrictions may apply.
Things to know BEFORE purchasing a Universal Standard Mystery Box:
- All sales are final. There are no returns or exchanges with any of these items. If you're OK with that risk, go forth and purchase! If you have experience with selling online, US items typically sell quickly on Poshmark and in Buy/Sell/Trade Groups on Facebook like this one.
- Triple check your size if you're not familiar with US fit/sizing: I find their size charts to be extremely accurate, but their sizing scale is labeled differently from other brands. If you're near my size, I wear a size 28 in most retailers, and do so as well for the numeric labeled items at US, and in their alphanumeric sizing, wear either a XL or 2XL depending on how I'd like the item to fit.
- It's truly random what is selected for you – in the past they would send a survey out asking preferences, but due to how large of a scale this sale has become, that's not feasible anymore. I'm not sure if they're checking for duplicates of past orders, either. So again, if you're comfortable selling online or with any other US-obsessed friends, then it should be easy to get your money back that way.
- If there's a box you want, don't hesitate. There's a history of boxes selling out before sale end. Styles and sizes become limited.
- Shipping will take a while – between 2-4 weeks. If you are looking for Amazon Prime speeds, this isn't it!
I've purchased many Mystery Boxes in the past and find it the best way to build up high-quality wardrobe staples and a much lower cost than I would if I purchased these items separately.
Have questions? Let me know and I'll try to answer them!