Hi – I’m Emily!
Welcome to my little corner of the internet. I’m the person behind this blog, Authentically Emmie, which I started over 11 years ago, before Instagram was invented. I’ll wear my internet granny crown with pride.
I spent 30 years of my life cycling through multiple attempts to make myself smaller. The past several years have been focused on making myself bigger: not in size, but in finding my place in the world and not apologizing for taking up space.
Over the years of sharing highs and lows of my life here, I’ve learned that speaking into discomfort can bring healing and foster deep connection. This might mean talking about mental health, eating disorders, and family dynamics. This also means sharing fun things like plus size fashion, personal style, marriage, travel, and home decor. No matter the topic, I’m very thankful that people continue to show up and let me be myself, as I am, in the moment.
- I live with my husband and dog in the land of fast horses, bourbon, and bluegrass: Louisville, Kentucky
- My favorite things include the Peloton, the aforementioned bourbon, writing, traveling, and decorating something in the house.
- I have Hashimoto's, which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder. Basically, the immune system thinks the thyroid gland is a foreign object in your body, attacking it so it doesn’t function properly. I have been gluten free because of this since 2013.
- Recovering from binge eating disorder – binge free since 2012
- I'm a half marathoner, but screwed up my ankle so I stick to walking and strength & conditioning sessions
- I'm “whasian”: half caucasian, half Chinese.
- I am a social media strategist specializing in the fitness and fashion space. I am pretty obsessed with my work because it's so much fun.
- I've been fortunate enough to have people actually want to hear what I've got to say. Check out the highlights of various media appearances here.
Here's a list of some of my favorite posts throughout the years.
If you're crazy enough to want to read my ramblings chronologically, my archives are here.
Want to get in touch? As a social media addict, it's pretty easy to find me anytime!
- Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat @authemmie
- More of a Facebook fan? Find me there also.
- I love to pin! Here's Pinterest
- More formal? Here's LinkedIn for you.
- Video person? Here's my YouTube channel.
- To keep tabs on my posts here, sign up to receive updates via RSS feed.
- Want to subscribe to my non-spammy emails? Awesome – subscribe here.
Need to reach me? Contact here, or by email: emmie (at) authenticallyemmie (dot) com.