We've come a long way with Target Designer collections!
The year was 2015. It was midnight, and I was on my phone and computer frantically trying to get on the Target website to shop the highly anticipated Lilly Pulitzer x Target collection. Since Lilly didn't have plus sizes in their normal collection, I was really excited to be able to shop this collection, which had larger sizes and of course, was less expensive than the full brand. I was up for hours as the site crashed multiple times, items that were in my cart disappeared, and in the end, wasn't sure what I had purchased. It was my first experience shopping one of these designer collaborations, and I learned many lessons!
There have been many more designer collaborations in the years since, and I've thankfully become much more adept at shopping them. Sunday, October 9th, the next Designer Collection drops, with items from Sergio Hudson, Kika Vargas, and La Ligne. As I prepare to shop the sale, I thought I'd share some information, tips, and some of my favorite pieces.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click them and purchase something, I earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting my work!
Important information about Target designer collaborations:
- They sell out quickly: These are limited quantities, and that means planning is required if you really have certain pieces you want to get your hands on. It's not uncommon for items to sell out within hours of launch.
- Not all items and sizes are in store: Some pieces are online only, and many sizes (especially plus) aren't always in store. Shopping online is my preferred method for
- They usually launch at midnight pacific, 3 am ET, and in stores the same day: You can be one of the first in line at the store the morning of the launch to get your hands on pieces, or you can set your alarm for the time and go back to sleep when you're finished.
- Return periods are limited: Most of these collaborations have a 14-day return window, so make sure to keep an eye on the calendar and make any returns promptly.
Tips for Shopping Target designer collaborations:
- Browse the collection in advance and pre-save items: On the Target app or Target.com, the collection pages will be up in advance of the launch dates. Here is the link for tomorrow's collection, for example. “Heart” each item that you want to shop, and when it's launch time, skip all the scrolling and shop straight from your Target Favorites page.
- Shop right when the collection drops: Yes, this means if you're in Eastern time like myself, you will need to get up realllllly early, but things truly do go so fast that it's the safest bet to securing what you want.
- Look at shipping or pick up in-store options: Target.com obviously offers shipping of items, but you can also shop items for same day, in-store pickup. If you want that instant gratification, in-store pickup means no browsing through racks and being able to enjoy the items right away. This is also helpful when a size is out of stock online, but may be at a store near you.
- Size out of stock? Use the “Notify” feature. I have scored so many out-of-stock pieces by using the “Notify when back in stock” feature on the Target website or App. Select your size, and then click the notify button. When the item comes back in stock (for these collaborations, it's usually returned items), they will send you a push notification and email.
Favorites from the Target Fall 2022 Designer Collection
Of the 3 designers for this collection, I'm most excited about the Sergio Hudson pieces. The bold houndstooth coat is probably going to be the first item to sell out. I love the bold black and white pieces, as well as the saturated blue, pink, and yellows he has.
If you're into super feminine details like florals, ruffles, puffy sleeves, scalloped edges, and bows, the Kika Vargas collection will be right up your alley.
The most casual (but still refined) of the collection is from La Ligne, known for their signature stripes. These are easy, versatile mix-and-match pieces.
Do you plan on shopping these collections? Let me know in the comments what you pick up!