I say all the time that I'm a lazy cook and don't do well with recipes. Tonight though, my dinner was really flavorful, fit my dietary restrictions, and was EASY!
First, sorry I didn't measure things exactly. I just throw it together and hope it works.
Pesto Spaghetti Squash
Hat tip to Paleo Comfort Foods (affiliate link) for the idea. I didn't follow the recipe. It's a GREAT cookbook, I was just being lazy and tried to match flavors.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- fresh chopped basil (1 bunch from the store is plenty)
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic, minced (fresh)
- leftover chicken, chopped
- sea salt
- several grape tomatoes, cut in half
- optional (but delicious): sun dried tomatoes, sliced thin
- optional if you don't have dairy restrictions: shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti squash. It's super easy – here is how I do it, although you can microwave as well
- When it's done, shred it into a bowl
- Throw in chopped basil
- Drizzle some olive oil and mix – just enough to slightly coat the squash – it should be light
- Throw in minced garlic – I used 3 cloves
- Throw in your leftover chopped chicken (I used 1 medium chicken breast)
- Throw in your sun dried tomatoes if you're using them
- Throw in your cheese if you're using it
- Season with salt and pepper as desired
- Mix it all up
- Throw it on a plate
- Top with tomatoes
That's it! I ate half of it for dinner and will have the other half for lunch tomorrow. Nom. It took all of 10 minutes to prepare, including 5 minutes of me trying to split the spaghetti squash open. The worst part is waiting for the spaghetti squash to cook.