For whatever reason, I bought an eggplant at the grocery this week. Tonight after getting back from the gym, I was adventurous and decided to try it. Don't get me wrong – I've eaten eggplant before, I've just never made it. I decided to roast it as I wanted something to snack on.
- 1 Eggplant
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 2 Laughing Cow Light Herb & Garlic Wedges
- Preheat oven to 400
- Slice eggplant into thin circles (I could only fit 1/2 my eggplant on the pan – it was huge)
- Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer
- Mist olive oil on the eggplant (or toss them in a tiny bit of olive oil before putting on sheet)
- Sprinkle on spices: sea salt, italian seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika
- Bake for 20 minutes and check for desired doneness. Add time in 5 minute increments if still too moist
- Remove from oven and serve with warmed up marinara sauce and Laughing Cow light herb and garlic wedges.
I think I have a favorite new snack! It was so tasty – the smoked paprika really added something special. I just ate it with my hands – spread some Laughing cow on it, then folded like a taco and dipped into the marinara sauce. The best part? The only calories really come from the little bit of olive oil, the 2 wedges (35 calories each), and the marinara sauce.
Some people slice the eggplant and salt it, allowing the moisture to come out of the eggplant prior to cooking, but I was hungry and skipped that step. I just added more time to the oven.