Note: I recently asked some of my friends if they wanted to guest post on my blog. I was excited when my friend Emily said she would. She doesn’t have a blog, but her enthusiasm and love of Zumba is something I knew she would look forward to sharing with everyone. Without further ado, here’s her post.
Hey ya’ll! My name is Emily Smith and when Emily posted about looking for guests to post on her blog, I decided to jump at the opportunity and introduce you to the craze they call ZUMBA (Can you tell I’m in love, yet?!). Emily and I met through Jenny Blake’s online course, Make Sh*t Happen, that empowers and equips go- getters (like Skinny Emmie) to take their big goals from impossible to inevitable. Since then, I’ve been following Emily and all of amazing goodness on health, fitness, and weight loss! I’m currently working on losing another 30 lbs. and preparing to become Zumba certified!
So, what exactly is Zumba?! I had heard about it 3 years ago, but actually didn’t take the opportunity to attend a group fitness class until last January! I was hooked after the first Zumba class and haven’t looked back since. Zumba is basically a Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, and contagious steps to form a “fitness-party” that is downright addictive.
Throughout my entire life, I’ve always been active, but lost my motivation while I was in college (thus gaining extra weight). It wasn’t until I discovered Zumba, that I was able to successfully loose weight (I’ve lost 30 lbs. so far!!!!) and stay committed and excited towards exercise! I Zumba 4-5 times per week, have attended several “Zumba parties” (where you actually go to venues to Zumba for a couple of hours and then there’s basically healthy food/drinks/vendors), and attend classes all over the Dallas area to get a taste of some of my favorite Zumba instructors! Because I love Zumba so much, I’ve decided to post a list of the top 5 reasons why I love Zumba!
- It’s a massive dance party. Every time. You get to dance and shake it to your favorite Latin/hip hop/reggae/you name it songs, with your friends, all while burning 700-900 calories an HOUR! Yes, I’m not kidding.
- It makes you feel SOOOOO sexy. Exercise+ sexy=AWESOME.
- You can do it anywhere- at a fitness studio near you, in any city, from your own TV (you just have to order the tapes) & with your friends! The more people, the better!
- It helps you drop weight quickly (as long as you are eating healthy and/or following some sort of eating regimen) and tones you in places you didn’t know existed!
- You get to wear bright, flashy, fun clothes! They actually make a line of Zumba wear and you’ll notice when you Zumba a lot of people have fitness gear inspired by the movement! Check out their product line here.
And with this being said, I am off to….ZUMBA!
Emily is a Teach For America corps member and MSH Co-Facilitator behind Jenny Blake’s Make Sh*t Happen course who’s dream is to coach and inspire those around her to live their most authentic and purpose-driven lives. Find her on Twitter @EmilyAnne_917.