We as humans are so funny about making excuses. We are so damn good at it without even trying! We talk ourselves out of things that should be good for us in order to hurt ourselves. Can you identify with any of these?
- I’ll start dating when I lose some weight
- I’ll start my diet tomorrow, after this huge cookout
- I’ll start going to the gym when my kids are back in school
These were my defaults:
- I’ll start exercising once I lose 50 pounds
- I’ll join a gym when I get smaller
- I’m not going on another vacation till I lose lots of weight
- Work is stressful right now, I don’t have time to exercise
Is it easy to just get started? Heck no. There are a million ways to talk our ways out of doing something outside of our normal routine – outside of our comfort zone. What is the damage that we’re doing to ourselves by all of this postponement? For me, I know I’ve inflicted years of damage: of living a life without limits, of feeling ashamed, of growing ever more larger…
If I could count all of the “yesterday’s” of the “I’ll start tomorrow’s” then I’d have years back. If I could tell myself, after 1 small bad choice, that the rest wasn’t important, I’d have many pounds back.
So please, be uncomfortable. Push yourself outside the box. Don’t wait until tomorrow, or even your next meal. Make a choice. You have the power.