Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of ShelbyKY Tourism Commission & Visitors Bureau. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’m not sure where time has gone, but suddenly we’re in December and it’s frantic gift buying time! As much as I love online shopping, I hate ordering something and then realizing too late that it’s not as great as I thought it’d be. For this reason, I like heading out to shop in stores. It also helps to have a variety of shops around when you’re not sure what you’re looking for. For this reason, I went out to the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass to knock out some of my holiday gift list.
As I mentioned in April, I love living so close to the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass. On this particular Monday morning, it took 17 minutes to get to Simpsonville from my East Louisville house. If you want to see some of my tips for shopping at the outlets all year long, you can find them here. In this post, I’ll share some of my favorite shops at the Outlets, and tips for shopping for the holidays.
Make it an event, or go on a mission
If you’re in Louisville or Lexington and want to make a girls’ trip to the Outlets of the Bluegrass in Shelby County, you can certainly devote an entire day to it! I was out of state for Thanksgiving, but 4 of my friends from Lexington spent all of Black Friday at the Outlets. They wore coordinating outfits, light up necklaces, and shopped so much that they had to make 3-4 trips to the car with their bags, and rallied for 7 hours! I applaud them for their stamina and commitment to good designer deals. I hear they made a dent at the Tory Burch outlet. And LOFT. And Saks Fifth Avenue OFF FIFTH. And White House Black Market. You get the idea! The entire outing is an event, and it’s definitely a popular route for heading to the Outlets.
I’m much more of a mission shopper (with the exception of home decor.) I go in with a game plan and focused on efficiency. This probably stems from my childhood/teen mall years where I couldn’t fit into a lot of stores as a plus-size person, so every big shopping trip consisted of me standing around for hours while my friends tried things on. Thankfully these days it’s a little easier to find styles in my size, and the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass are no exception. I always make sure to stop by my 2 favorites dedicated to plus: Lane Bryant and Torrid.
No matter which way you choose to shop at the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass, it’s always good to have a little bit of a game plan. During the holiday season, I’d suggest:
- Check the latest hours. There are extended hours for shopping on many days, so check the website for the most up-to-date info.
- Check the directory. Even if you don’t head into the trip with a printed out map, it’s a good idea to check the latest directory before heading out. There are new stores all the time, and if you’re too busy heading to your old favorites, you might miss them. I recently checked out the new Copper Daisy Boutique, which is in one of my favorite sections of the Outlets: the Kate Spade/Gucci/Saks off Fifth triangle. If I don’t lose all my money at the Lane Bryant/Torrid/Old Navy end, I’m for sure spending it all in this corner! Copper Daisy Boutique is a locally-owned shop, and has a focus on everything cozy and easy-to-wear, plus great accessories and fun gifts for pet lovers. Plus, they have all sizes up to a 3X.
- Check the weather. Even if it’s raining or snowing, the Outlets are a great place to shop because the corridors have a roof. So while it may be chilly, you can stay pretty dry. Check the temp before heading out though, so you don’t have to cut your shopping spree short due to cold. Layer appropriately! And if you get cold, stop by Ghiradehlli to get the best hot chocolate ever.
- Wear comfortable shoes. There are so many great places to explore, so aim for practicality versus fashion.
Favorite Shops for Gifts for your Girlfriends
- Kate Spade: I particularly love checking out their jewelry and small goods selection for gifts at a variety of price points
- Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th: Such a wide variety of gifts from jewelry to scarves/warm fuzzies, sunglasses, and more
- Copper Daisy Boutique: They have a good selection of gifts for your pet-loving friends, as well as super-cozy ponchos, scarves, and pretty jewelry
- Bath and Body Works: Soaps, lotions, sprays, home fragrance and more
- Yankee Candle Outlet: All the smell-good things for home
Favorite Shops for Gifts for Your Guy:
- Bose: Tech heaven
- Brooks Brothers: For the sharp-dressed man
- Locker Room by Lids: Get your fan gear here
- Louisville Slugger Pop Up Shop: Personalized bats, mini bats, hats, and more
Favorite Shops for Plus Size Shoppers:
- Lane Bryant: It’s a huge store with a large section for Cacique, their intimates line (my fave)
- Torrid: On-trend, fun styles. A lot of great styles for holiday parties right now.
- Talbots: A great spot for career wear
- Christopher and Banks: Sweaters, jeans, and other comfortable wares up to a size 24W
Details about the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass
- Address: 1155 Buckcreek Rd. Simpsonville, KY 40067
- Hours: They have special extended holiday hours throughout the season. For the current list of hours, check their website here.
- Full list of stores
- Follow on Facebook and Instagram
Tell me: Do you prefer to shop with friends or go it alone?
Photos by Hedges Photography